European Domestic Leagues send official letter to FIBA
The principal domestic leagues around the continent have agreed to send the following official communication to FIBA Secretary General Mr. Patrick Baumann:
ECA and its Domestic League Shareholders (the undersigned) gathered in Barcelona, Spain on 15 April 2015, and agreed to send this letter expressing their remarks and a common position regarding the “FIBA Competition System and Calendar as of 2017”, within the April 2015 deadline given by you in the letter sent on 23 January 2015.
- National Teams are an important part of basketball and must be supported by ECA, its Domestic Leagues and Clubs as they have been for the past 15 years
- Clubs form the base and foundation of all basketball activity worldwide. As a result they must be represented and involved in all decisions that have an impact on their activity
- ECA, its Domestic Leagues and Clubs reject the scheduling of National Team games during the club calendar. The draft windows during the club calendar are unacceptable as a result of this
- A solution has been found by FIBA with regards to the NBA and its Clubs participation in the FIBA Competition System and Calendar as of 2017. ECA and its Domestic Leagues request to sit down once more with FIBA in order to find a suitable solution, maintaining the principles that are shared by all basketball stakeholders
- Clubs activity generates the large majority of the entire basketball business, and it is the Clubs who take care of player’s welfare. National Federations must respect the clubs activity and continue to take care of player’s welfare by:
- Ensuring at least one month’s complete rest for all players worldwide; establishing a global insurance program for National Team training, games and competitions; sharing revenues from National Team Competitions with clubs in order to compensate their player’s release as is already the case in other team sports.
We look forward to the above remarks being addressed in a prompt and timely manner, and remain available for any further clarifications as necessary.
ADRIATIC BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
ASOCIACIÓN DE CLUBS DE BALONCESTO
BASKETBALL BUNDESLIGA GmbH
BASKETBALL SUPER LEAGUE ADMINISTRATION (2002) LTD OF ISRAEL
HELLENIC ASSOCIATION OF BASKETBALL SA
LEGA SOCIETÀ DI PALLACANESTRO
LIETUVOS KREPSINIO LYGA
LIGUE NATIONALE DE BASKETBALL
EUROLEAGUE COMMERCIAL ASSETS SA